Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Brunner- Design Exhibition

Since I could not attend the typography field trip with my classmates, I decided to make the trek downtown to the beloved Art Institute of Chicago. While I had a fabulous time viewing all of the work held at the museum, the designer I would like to focus on is Christopher Wool. He has an exhibition that really caught my eye. He utilizes typography as well as abstract design in his work, which made him a perfect fit for this class! 
He is best known for his work with typography- large, stenciled letters, used to form words and phrases. They are configured with run-ons and abbreviations, so it is not explicitly clear what the work of art is communicating right off the bat. The thing that really drew me to Christopher Wool's artwork in the first place was his odd use of materials. He goes about designing through a variety of means- rags, stencils, spray-paint, and screens, were all showcased in one way or another in most of his work. I like the way he uses ordinary objects as tools because it displays the nature of art itself; how anything can be considered art to different people. I also really enjoyed his work because unlike most of the pieces displayed at The Art Institute, Wool used a black and white color scheme throughout the majority of his work, although color does make a rare appearance. I appreciated this because it is harder to work strictly with these two colors, in my opinion, because it is often times very limiting. It is harder to create tension, depth, balance, unity, and emotion by only using two colors, however, I believe Wool successfully accomplished what he set out to do. I think Wool excels at showcasing prints that makes his audience question, analyze, and ultimately reconsider what is and can be considered "art". All his typographic pieces have limitless possibilities and it is up to the viewer to decide what direction he or she wants to take it. I love this about Wool's work, which is why I am so pleased to have been able to take this opportunity to discover his work and how it correlates with typography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment