Thursday, March 13, 2014

Typeforce 5 | Nauseda

This last Tuesday, I went with a few other classmates to Typeforce 5, an art gallery in my native Bridgeport with an exhibition of typographic art. There were a lot of interesting things there, but a few of things I saw really drew my attention and actually left a substantial impact on me, including one exhibit that gave me an idea for the music poster project.
One of the first things I checked out was a mess of what looked like sealant of some kind arranged on the floor in crude cursive writing that said things like “love” and “ideas”. After seeing the first one on the floor, I noted to a classmate that I had almost stepped on it, and as I walked throughout the gallery, I almost stepped on quite a few more. It was not until I made my rounds around the studio that I found the description of that project, “Things in Life We Trip Over.” I don't think any work of art has ever made such an effective point to me. I was astounded that I had essentially walked right into their point, so to speak.
As far as what I took away, there was one work that showcased a series of letter B's in a transparent medium all aligned so you could look through all of them at once. Each B was made of a different layer of anatomy (as in, one B looked like skin, the next one behind it like veins, the next like muscle, etc.) This gave me a great idea for my music poster, since I'm trying to represent the different layers of the chorus of the song.

All in all, though, I think by far the most interesting part of the exhibit was what was behind the red curtain...

No comments:

Post a Comment