Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Chapter 7 Reflection | Nauseda

I knew this chapter was coming when the earlier chapters alluded to the old methods of typesetting, but this chapter put it into a much more detailed light. I still can't comprehend going through the old block style of typesetting for an entire manuscript letter by letter. I can only imagine the joy of typographers everywhere when linotype and eventually monotype were invented. It's just infinitely easier nowadays to create type on the computer and see it change in real time. I had never even heard of phototypesetting until reading this. It was an interesting idea, to use technology similar to that of photography. I would imagine though that the clarity of the type would suffer a bit, though. I really like the Walker typeface developed by Matthew Carter in 1995. The idea of interchangeable serifs and decoration to the text is a cool idea.

By far though, I thought most about the discussion of the concept of WYSIWYG. In the age of digital design, ensuring that what one produces on a screen comes out in print the same way it looks on screen is a real challenge. I had discovered last year how unforgiving the computer screen could be, when I printed out a poster for a final project with a light cream-colored background, that printed in a pretty nasty looking brown-yellow. I had to go get it reprinted late at night at a local Staples because I don't have a printer large enough for the required size. Just goes to show how important it is to have an accurate screen. Even in our classroom, the projector and the monitor in the back look completely different, which sometimes leads to completely different critiques.  
And you thought typesetting in English was complicated...

No comments:

Post a Comment