Thursday, February 6, 2014

Powell - Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

This chapter made me really appreciate how lucky we are to have computers today.  Chapter seven of the book covered typographic technology.  In an earlier chapter, the book discussed the timeline of typography.  This chapter focused on the latter time frame discussed in the history chapter.  According to the book, the invention of typography is often considered the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.  Some of the inventions used fascinate me.  I think about the patience and dedication it took to use some of the machines and it makes me realize how easy I have it with computers.  For example, the linotype was a very big achievement in that it could create an entire line of type as opposed to hand setting.  However, I think about how quickly I can type a sentence and have it printed instantly, and I realize the effort that went into typography.

No comments:

Post a Comment