Thursday, February 6, 2014

Stundziaite - Chapter 7 Reflection

Skai Stundziaite - Chapter 7 Reflection

After reading Chapter 7 in “Typographic Design: Form and Communication,” I found out that I knew a lot less about type setting than I thought. It was interesting to read about how type setting developed with technology.  As I read, I found myself being very happy to have grown up in the era that I have, because if it was not for all the technological advances, I would but such a pain to set each letter by hand, then when a mistake was found, you’d have to go back and edit the whole line in order to fix it. I found phototypesetting to be very interesting and I honestly did not know about this idea until I read the text. Another interesting thing I found out while reading this chapter was all the components of a computer. I always heard things like RAM and CPU but I was not sure to what they stood for or what they actually did.
I also really enjoyed all the photographs provided in this book. It gives me the ability to imagine exactly how it would be to be a typesetting back in the day. All the machines look so intimidating and huge, I would have probably lost a finger if I was a typesetting in the olden days.
One thing that threw me off while I was reading this chapter was when they mentioned floppy disks. I understand that it was part of the evolution of technology and computers, but they have become relevant and replaced by the CD and then USB drive. Thanks to all the awesome technological advances, we are now able to easily play around with type by distorting it, being able to write in curved lines, etc.! I feel like over the past 50-60 years, typography, and graphic design in general, has come a long way!


No comments:

Post a Comment