Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Chapter 7 Response - Allison Nolden

Allison Nolden

Chapter 7: Typographic Technology

Chapter seven covers the transformation of typographic technology.  It states that the invention of typography has been called the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.  The chapter begins with hand composition and covers everything up to the technology we have today.  I didn’t realize that there were so many different steps to get to the technology we have today and I am grateful for today’s advances.  I would like to someday try hand typesetting though.  I think it would be an awesome experience and would make me appreciate modern technology even more.  Also, I think that it would help me in my future designs.  I liked reading about the middle forms of typesetting, after hand composition and before today’s technology.  Before reading this I had known a little about hand typesetting and linotype but I really knew nothing about Ludlow, display phototypesetting, or scanner and laser systems.  Display phototypesetting sounds very cool to me because I like to experiment with film but it sounds like it would be very hard to learn how to do.  I thought reading about the scanner and laser systems was interesting because I use them a lot but never really knew what was happening when I was.  When reading this chapter I thought that I really take for granted the technology we have today because I never think about how it really works, I just use it.

I chose this image from the internet to accompany my response to chapter seven.  It is a phototypesetting unit.




No comments:

Post a Comment