Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Lecture/Exhibition Response - Allison Nolden

Allison Nolden

Lecture/Exhibition Attendance


Last week I attended DePaul’s Visiting Artists Series’ workshop on Social Media & Crowdfunding for Creatives with Jessica King and Julie Keck of “King is a Fink Productions.”  Most of their talk was guided towards filmmakers but I still thought the information was helpful.  They had a lot to share, the talk was almost two hours long, but they kept me interested the entire time.  They really emphasized the importance of being on social media and getting your work out there.  It made me think of how I am using the social media I have now and how I can change what I’m doing to get my designs seen.  Something they shared that I thought was interesting was the idea of being the altruist.  I liked this idea because I think it would be really cool if someone were to share one of my designs.  Another thing they emphasized was being positive, which sort of goes along with the idea of being the altruist.  Being positive and supporting other people’s work will help you build an online community that will actually like and support your own designs.  They went on to talk about how this will help with crowdfunding when you need it.  I didn’t think that this part of the workshop really applied to me but the information was still helpful.  If I ever decide to make a film, I’ll know how to crowdfund for it.  After going to this workshop I decided that I’m going to start to share more of my designs on social networks to get my work out there and to find people who like my designs or do similar things.

No comments:

Post a Comment