Thursday, February 6, 2014

Powell - Chapter 1, 3, & 6


Chapter 1:
Chapter one was very interesting to read.  It covered the evolution of typography throughout time.  The four timelines that the authors used were very easy to follow and very captivating.  What I found to be the most interesting was the beginnings of typography.  When I think about language from over five-thousand years ago, I do not immediately think of typography.  This chapter opened my eyes to the past and helped me realize the typographic elements found in historic type.  I was fascinated by the Egyptian history with hieroglyphic writing in 2400 B.C.  As time moved forward and technologies advanced, typography became more advanced as well.  Prior to the 20th century, people were mainly concerned with the message being communicated by type and not necessarily the design of the type.  I found it interesting that it during the 20th century is when people became more focused on the design of type since there is such an extensive history on type.



Chapter 3:
Chapter three of the book covered syntax and communication.  This is another element that I subconsciously knew for years, but never actually noticed it until this chapter.  When I think about syntax and communication, I think about grade school English class.  I did not think about typography.  However, after reading this chapter, I realized how important these elements are in successful typography.  There are elements such as letter, the line, the word, and column and margins.  While all of the sections were insightful, I found the spacing of columns and margins to be the most interesting.  My little sister is an intern at Vibe Magazine, and in every magazine there are specified columns and margins in the articles.  After reading this article, I went back to one of my sister’s articles and paid closer attention to the spacing of everything, and I noted how everything had to be strategically laid out.  Another aspect that I find interesting is the visual hierarchy.  By condensing type, enlarging it, or spacing it out, you can create a hierarchy.  This was very important for me last quarter as I made a poster for a Kanye West concert, and I needed to be very aware of the visual hierarchy.



Chapter 6:
Chapter six focused on the typographic message.  It was interesting to look at type for everything it meant.  When we look at typography, it can be received verbally, visually, and audibly.  Typography is very dynamic, and because it can be received multiple ways typography has limitless opportunity for ways to communicate.  As I mentioned before, I am an advertising major, so this chapter is catered directly to me.  The section that I found the most interesting was the section about function and expression.  The example the book used about the two types of chairs that are suited for two different types of people was very captivating.  In advertising, I will have to cater my message for specific target audiences.  Using function and expression will allow me to be creative and still communicate the message effectively.  It is important to understand your audience at all times when communicating, so this chapter helped significantly with understanding how typography can be interpreted differently by different people.


No comments:

Post a Comment