Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Typeface Analysis - Ben Conde

Ben Conde Typeface Analysis

Eurostile

Eurostile is a sans serif typeface that appeals to me the most because it reminds me of the way I try to actually write. The square look, but rounded corners and clean style really sticks out to me, and I enjoy how it looks on paper and on a digital screen. It’s easy to read and well put together. The size of all the characters seem to just fit very well. It definitely has a wider feel to it than other typefaces out there. I like how well balanced the caps are as well, almost all of them are symmetric, which just makes everything look even. 


I was able to learn that Aldo Novarese designed this typeface in 1962. According to research, I discovered that he originally created Eurostile for one of the best-known Italian foundries, Nebiolo, in Turin. Before Eurostile, Novarese created a similar typeface called Microgramma, but wanted to add lower-case letters, a bold condesened variant, and an ultra narrow design.



Athelas

Athelas is very beautiful typeface when it comes to printing. I really like how clean the serifs make the type look. I am usually not the biggest fan of serifs, but this typeface makes it work in my opinion. I think the weight within the character's strokes are very well done, and make the typeface quite balanced. It appears to be more of a rounder typeface in comparison to Eurostile, but it is obviously used for different messages.

What I discovered is that Athelas was inspired by Britain’s literary classics and takes on a lot of white space. The whitespace can be found just about every where within the typeface such as the margins, between the columns, the lines, the words, letter shapes, and also the characters.

Many of Athelas character’s give off a very graceful vibe and would be presented well in a classy environment. It’s serifs look very clean and are weighted nicely to provide an easy read and overall great balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment