Thursday, January 23, 2014

Type Anatomy Essay-Jacqueline Lin


Cambria:
I use Cambria for most documents that I have on my computer. I chose it because I wanted to examine it more by locating specific vocabulary in the type family. Before I started using Cambria, Times New Roman was the font that was required before it became a main font in Word documents. This font reminds me most of Mac computers because it is located in most of the toolboxes in Microsoft Word. It also has a similar look to the Mercedez-Benz logo, and the typeface can be compared similarly. The Mercedes Benz font is condensed compared to Cambria. It also has more curves than Cambria, but what reminded me the most about each other was the serifs. Both of them also have an old-style look to them, and looks vintage or unique. I see fonts that look like this in books and when things are trying to look old.



Calibri:
Calibri was the other main font in Microsoft Word. I chose this font because it seemed to always be with Cambria. I also found it appealing from the simplicity of the font, but still had its own quirk to it. In popular culture, it reminds me of Mac computers, but also American Apparel, the clothing store. If you've ever been in the store, everything is very plain with simplistic font everywhere you turn. Calibri is not as condensed as American Apparel's font, but both are plain, bold typefaces. The difference in the boldness is different, but the way they are shaped remind me of each other. Both of the fonts are also sans serif and are easy to read. They are very modern, and reminds me of the future. Modern things are usually boxy, simple, and legible. It is very inviting and caught my attention of the store when I first heard of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment