Monday, January 27, 2014

Chapter 1 Response - Allison Nolden

Chapter 1: The Evolution of Typography

This chapter covers absolutely every step in the evolution of typography.  I was very impressed with how far we can look back and know about the history of typography and communication.  I especially thought it was impressive that they had examples of each step.  Being able to see the kind of type or way of communication they were referring to was really helpful and made reading about them more interesting.  I very much liked being able to look at the very beginning of the timeline at 3150 B.C. and being able to see the letters we use now come about the far farther we go.  Figure 14 is an image of Greek manuscript writing from the fourth century B.C. and that is where I first started to recognize some of the letters we use now like J, E P, I T N and O.  Further on when we got to about 1450-55 figure 38 shows a picture from a bible and it was harder for me to recognize many of those characters.   A few hundred years later around 1600/1700 I was able to read most of the examples and eventually the examples used became really recognizable.  Eventually the timeline made it to modern typography and more design was being added.  It started to be less about just communication and more about design as well.

I chose this image from the internet to accompany my response to chapter one because it takes a modern design to show the evolution of typography.



No comments:

Post a Comment