Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Type Anatomy | Nauseda


The serif font I chose is called Baskerville Old Face. I discovered this font my senior year of high school, where in my politics class, we were instructed to use our choice of Times New Roman, Arial, or Baskerville Old Face when typing up papers or other assignments. Since then, it's been one of my favorite serif types. To me, it seems very similar to Times New Roman, but there are a few things about Baskerville that I feel makes it a bit more readable. It seems to have more contrast between thick and thin strokes and has thicker vertical strokes. It gives the font character and helps guide my eye from letter to letter, as opposed to just getting lost in a sea of Times New Roman. I can't use this typeface without being reminded of the horrors of papers I had to write while in that politics class, and I think I will always associate it with that. I particularly like the capital letters of this typeface because they remind me of a reprint of some classic novel, where the cover would be overly elaborate and trimmed in gold leaf or something, and this is the typeface that would be used. Just imagine “EDGAR ALLAN POE: COLLECTIVE WORKS”. The high contrast and thickness of the capital letters make it great for titles in print, or for the song title on a piece of John Philip Sousa sheet music. This paragraph is typed in Baskerville Old Face. 







The sans serif font I chose is razer header light. This font was given to me by Razer, a company that produces a wide arrangement of computer gear, including headphones, microphones, mice, computer parts, and laptops. I personally own quite a few pieces of Razer gear, and they are probably my favorite company to get this kind of equipment from. This typeface in particular is the one they use for titles of packaging and other advertisements, etc. I really like that its all based around a square that can easy be seen in the capital “O”, o. It is certainly not my first or tenth choice of readable font, as I originally tried writing this entire paragraph in the font itself, but it just got ridiculous. As a heading, though, it is aesthetically pleasing to me personally. It's clean and sharp, which works well for a company called Razer. It reflects the sort of products they sell, which are all also clean and sharp looking, usually in matte black and sleek.  

No comments:

Post a Comment