Monday, January 27, 2014

Chapter 6 Response - Allison Nolden

Chapter 6: The Typographic Message

This chapter talks about the typographic message.  I had never thought about typography being a multidimensional language but after reading this chapter it made a lot more sense.   Reading about the Futurist manifesto and how free typography expresses feeling through the typeface reminded me of how we read type that is in all capital letters as though it is being yelled.  I very much enjoyed the examples of poems to explain the visual side of multidimensional typography.  The chapter emphasizes how important it is to make sure that the verbal/visual equation of your design is appropriate for the situation and message that is being communicated.  The chapter then goes on to talk about function and expression.  The book describes functionalism as “a term used to describe the utilitarian and pragmatic qualities of designed objects” and explains expressionism creating visual impact through formal elaboration and ornamentation.   I learned that function is used for a specific audience and expressionism uses a lot of uniqueness in the design.  Too much expressionism can ruin the function of a design.  I very much liked the full page ads and the figures used throughout this chapter.
 

I chose this image from the internet to accompany my response to chapter six because I thought it was a funny take on the multidimensional language I mentioned about yelling in all capital letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment