Thursday, January 23, 2014

Type Connection - Philip Bradley


I first chose univers because I normally sway towards sans serif typefaces, and the description mentioning a structural grid is exactly my style. I also really like the horizontally sliced terminals and consistent linear strokes. I’m really into minimalism so this was an easy choice for me. I then went with option 4, “Explore the Past” because I thought that univers was a very modern typeface, and I wanted to see if I could successfully pair it with a more classically styled typeface.


For my next typeface to pair with univers I chose apollo. I liked the typeface because of the blunted serifs and minimal stroke variation in  the letterforms. I thought this would be the most likely match for the modern and minimal univers.


After comparing them on top of one another I’m pretty confident they will be a match. They have a very similar basic structure and apollo really just seems like univers with a more classic twist. I guess it could also be the other way around as well. Looking further down at the different weights, capitals, italics, etc. of each typefaces shows that they really do blend well together despite one having serifs while the other not. At the top it shows that they both are Swiss designed typefaces and were made only 7 years a part. This would explain a lot of the similarities the two contain.


They are a match and it’s no surprise now that I know they were made by the same Swiss designer. They were both created for photo-setting and were meant to be paired. They both have unemotional consistent weights, like I mentioned previously, and the same x-height. They contrast nicely with apollo’s sharp terminals and open apertures when compared to univers’ flat terminals and closed forms.







No comments:

Post a Comment