Thursday, January 23, 2014

Type Connection Dating Game

The strategy that worked best for me was Seek the Similar. I found it much easier to match the typefaces by they're similarities because what they have in common sticks out more to me. The game helped me create kind of a flow to match the typefaces starting with the bigger differences. First I would look for a match that had the same geometric shape, such as curvy or square. Then I would look at the thickness of the typefaces. The thickness can the biggest give aways to me because it's obvious if the typeface that needs to be matched has variation in thickness and one of the daters doesn't. After those steps I'd click on one of the daters for a closer look to see the details that might be harder to notice like the x-height, ascenders, and descenders. Something that I found funny is that I chose a typeface that had too much in common for ITC Stones to date.

I actually liked two typefaces from the game, Archer and ITC Stone Sans. I like Archer because it has a unique fun feel to it and it's slightly different than the other typefaces. My favorite part about Archer is the curves at the end of the letterforms. That just really stuck out to me and I don't think I've seen a font with that same quality.

I like ITC Stone Sans because it was the most difficult for me to match. I think the reason why it was a challenge, is because it seems like it is designed to be perfectly geometric but there's tiny parts of the letterforms that throw that off. This typeface made it more interesting for me because I had to pay more attention since it's possible to get the letterforms too similar in two different strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment