Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fred Catolico - Typography Dating Game

For this Type Connection game I chose "Adobe Garamond Pro" with the lower case "e" to begin with. When hovering over the letter it said, "I am a modern-day, High Renaissance man" which I found to be most interested in because I’m into Futurist and Iconic designs.

The strategy that worked the most for me was the “Seek the Similar” one because I’m definitely a visual learner and was able to match the other typefaces with meticulous similarities.

The first characteristic I noticed on the original Garamond Pro is that it is a sans serif typeface. This automatically made me choose the letter “b” as a match because although it had serifs, they weren’t as noticeable as the serifs on the other choices. The counter of the lower case “e” I chose seemed to be very similar to the lower case “b” that I chose as well.

This page showed the similarities and differences between the typefaces I chose “Garamond Pro” vs. “Chaparral Pro.” I really like this page because I thought it was cool how you could visually see each letter on top of one another with the differences being a bit faded so it was visible and clear. As you click on the circled differences, a caption would pop up each time to notify the specifics. This really gave me a helpful perspective about those little details.

The last page said, “Congratulations! You’ve made a successful match.” This page was also very helpful by explaining the history between the two matches and how they were similar in that aspect. Both typefaces were inspired by 16th century eras, were very precise, and presented to constitute masculine type of letterforms. Overall, this game was very help yet fun. Even when I got a wrong match, it was really easy to navigate back to the beginning and start with different choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment