Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Type Connection





When I first got into the game, the typeface that appealed to me the most was Univers. I enjoy simple, clean letters so I thought that was the best choice. I read the biography of Univers and thought it was interesting to find out that it was neutral to different languages. I continued to pick my strategy and chose No. 2, seek the similar. I chose this strategy because I was intrigued in finding a font that looked like Univers. The options that it gave me to "date" were Glypha, Maple, and Futura. I automatically knew Maple was not an option because of the grotesque san serif. In Maple's description, it was described as capturing the "spunk" of the 19th and early 20th century industrial inspired sans. I proceeded to look at Futura, but remembered that the description of Univers was "a departure from Futura's severity." So then I got to Glypha. I knew it was a perfect match when I saw that it was after the basic forms of Univers. The name was based after "hieroglyph," reminding people of Egypt. It increases legibility with the oval-based curves as well as high x-heights. As I "toggled" between the two typefaces, They both had horizontally sliced terminals, legs meeting at point, a homogeneous structure, and subtle tapering. As I sent them on a date, it made a successful match. Adrian Frutiger, the designer of Glypha, used it as a revised version of an earlier serif based on Univers. Glypha is more of a feminine font, using serifs at the end of each letter. What I found most interesting about the game was how simple and clean it looked. I liked that it showed descriptions of each font by where it came from and how it was formed. I thought it was cute for making the fonts "date" while still being informational about each type.

No comments:

Post a Comment