Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Type Connection - Spencer

I had a really good time playing through the Type Connection game. When I was first presented with the characters to choose from, I was instantly drawn to Univers as it has been one my favorite typefaces I've ever come across. I really like the neutrality that Univers successfully achieves.

I chose the "K", and begin to play. I begin the dating after reading the background information, and I failed miserably "seeking the similar". It took me two tries to finally get the "match" that was I looking for, but it was interesting to read why the matches were unsuccessful.



I then tried the next strategy, "Embrace the Other" which would turn out a lot better for me. I was able to correctly guess the right typeface on my first try. I wasn't too confident though, it was pretty obvious the drastic differences between the san-serif, and serifed font. 


My favorite part of the whole experience was the "Explore the Past" section. Although I luckily chose the right match on the first one, it was really interesting to learn the tidbits regarding the typefaces, both historically and aesthetically. It was insightful to learn about the creators of the typefaces, as well as why they were designed. For example, Apollo and Univers were both designed in order to meet strict demands of the time for typesetting.

All in all, my experience with Type Connection was really positive, and the website is designed so well that it was truly a blast navigate through the sections. When I was done with Univers, I started right back at the beginning to try again with a new basis. 

                                                               



No comments:

Post a Comment