Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Type Anatomy-Katelyn Pesola






For my serif font I chose Happy Phantom, which is a font that I downloaded from dafont.com. I chose this font because I really liked non-traditionally serif feeling. Whenever I think of a serif font, I think of boring Times New Roman, so I wanted to choose something that both serif and modern looking. Like my sans serif font Arual Light, Happy Phantom has one consistent medium thickness stroke throughout every letterform. One thing that I really like about this font is its feeling that it looks somewhat like handwriting. It gives it more of a casual feel, like you could be used to create a handwriting effect in designs. This is not a font that would work well for having to read a lot of type in. I think that its very curving lowercase letters would be very difficult to read in a paragraph setting. I like that Happy Phantom has a feeling of being very modern yet being a teenage girl’s handwriting at the same time.

 After viewing this font a few times, I do not think that it is something that would work well for everything. I believe that it has its targeted audience of being a font that is cute and the feeling of looking like handwriting. I think that it could work well for maybe a store logo or on the cover of a magazine. I feel that the combination of curved and squared shaped letterforms really make this a unique font. This is especially true in the lowercase letters. Letters like a, g, and s are very curvy and almost don’t look like a serif font. While letters like p, q, v, and w are very straight and squared off. I really like that this font is not a 100% uniform, it gives a feeling of not being perfect, like many of the traditional serif typefaces.I am very interested in sewing, so for me I would compare this typeface to what they consider novelty print cotton. Basically that is a type of fabric that usually is cute, meant for kids, and not something that you would use very often. Most of the times it is specialized for a specific topic like for instance a print all about cheerleading or owls.
 

For my sans serif font I chose Arual Light. Arual Light is a typeface that I found on Da Font about a year ago while working on design project for the company my brother works for. Since using this font then, I find myself constantly checking to see if it will work in any of my other designs because I just like it so much. Arual Light has one thin constant stroke weight, which is both visually pleasing and very modern in design. It also has very round curves and bowls which gives a feeling of being somewhat playful. Arual Light reminds me of a typeface that you would see on the cover of a book or magazine. It is something that would make a nice headline or accent on a book or magazine but not something that would be good for a lot of text. While the legibility of the typeface is good, it is not something that you would want to read a lot of paragraphs in.
            In the uppercase letters I found it interesting that the uppercase A did not have a crossbar, this something that would really distinguish this font from others. I also found it interesting that in the uppercase B, H, K, P, and R they were not completely connected. I think that this adds another unique quality to this font. One thing I like about Arual Light is that in the lowercase it has a nice contrast of letter sizes. Letters like m, n, u, and y are really large and wide, while letters like i, j, l, and t are really skinny. I find it really interesting that for the most part this typeface is really big and loud but it has a few letters that are really skinny and timid. This typeface is very unique and has many different qualities that really can distinguish it from other sans serif fonts out there.  In terms of sewing and fabric, this font would be a high-end expensive fabric like Amy Butler or Michael Miller. Both these designers are very modern in their designs and are usually nice in quality and very interesting to look at.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment