Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Type Connection Game-Katelyn Pesola

While playing the Type Connection game I found that the Seek the Similar strategy worked best for me. Being able to see typefaces that were similar but still different was helpful for me when trying to find pairs.  I learned that in certain situations it is useful to use two different but similar typefaces as to not to overwhelm the reader. Having two similar fonts provides a nice clean-cut look to whatever it is being displayed on. The main thing I took away from playing this “game,” was that you really could have some bad font combinations. It is really important when trying to pick fonts, to not only have them look nice together but to also make sure that they don’t overpower each other and that they create a nice balance. Overall I thought that the whole idea of the type connection game was really clever. The idea of sending different typefaces on a “date” was a really cute concept, as well very useful in learning about fonts. I thought that by taking something that can be slightly difficult like selecting typefaces and putting it a fun game format made it easier for me to understand and learn from. 

I found the typeface Univers to be the most interesting from the game. Univers is a typeface that I am familiar with but not one that I use very often. From the game I found that because of its huge typeface family it is very versatile and can be useful in many different types of situations. In one example from the game it showed using only Univers on a document but because they weren’t the same style of Univers, you almost couldn’t really tell. The two different styles of Univers completed each other so well that it made for a nicely balanced example. 


No comments:

Post a Comment