Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Spencer - Type Anatomy








Futura: 

The typeface Futura gives off a very appealing, confident, and mature feeling. I've always been very fond of the font since I first saw it in it's Ultra Bold Condensed form for many ads, my favorite being the Nike ads. I should add that it might be a bit overused in advertising. Everything about the typeface just seems so balanced. The geometric properties of the typeface are really well rounded. 

Futura is like a a classic song from a few decades ago that you've heard a bunch of times, but you still don't really know the words to it. If I had to compare to a car, I would think it's something like a Acura. It's luxurious in a sense, but also retains some sportiness and sexiness.

Garamond:

The typeface Garamond is a personal favorite of mine, and definitely my favorite serif font. It's a a very sophisticated font, and is definitely suitable for all types of work. It's great for long copy as it's readability is very easy. Like Futura, Garamond gives off a feeling of luxury. It looks like something that you would find in a law textbook.

If Garamond were a car it would surely be something like a Lexus. Luxurious and efficient. It reminds me of old school train cars that you would find in Europe. If it were music, Garamond would be the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.



No comments:

Post a Comment