Thursday, January 23, 2014

Stundziaite - The Dating Game

The Dating Game:        

I played the Typography Dating Match Game and I learned some interesting things from the experience. One thing that wasn’t clear to me prior to playing the game was actually how to combine two different fonts and have a piece of design still look well throughout and visually appealing. The game managed to explain why pairings work. The site goes into detail explaining in detail why the two fonts match, for example, Univers and Glypha share ascender/descender heights, closed apertures, and other common features. After they explain why to two texts match, they continue to give a brief history of the fonts separately. Before playing this game, I did not think that so much inner thought goes into seeking out the perfect font.
Another thing that I liked about this game was at end of a match; you’re able to see the two fonts working in harmony in a piece of design. All the designs are strong not from the colors or any other additives, but the fonts are what make the designs look appealing and pretty. I think that every design example that they proved hold a strong example of how well the fonts work together. While choosing the two fonts to “send on a date” I was very entertained by all the different variations of the font that they provide (ultra condensed all caps, light italic, bold all caps,  roman, subhead, regular small caps, semi-bold subhead italic, etc).

It would have been nice if the game carried more fonts, but I feel like that could get very confusing very fast.  Overall, I feel like this game gave me a well-rounded understanding of why fonts match. I will definitely come back to it as a reference to whenever I need multiple font types in a piece of design.



No comments:

Post a Comment