Thursday, January 23, 2014

Stundziaite - Type Anatomy

Type Anatomy










          The reason why I picked Gravity by Vicenzo Vuono as my san serif font was because I felt like the simplicity of the font really fits the idea of serif font. I felt like the size of the letters where very minimal with absolutely no serifs what so ever. The feel of the font is very empty. I would probably see this font in a very modern store or magazine. I can see myself overusing this font because I really like how thin the letters are, alone with how organize the letters look. There are not quirky additives to the letters (like the line of the Q is straight and does not descend. I really enjoy how the thickness of the letters are universal throughout the letter, without any hairlines.  One thing that I noticed about this font was that there where no personal symbols. All the symbols for this font (regarding the numbers) looked as if it was another font. Overall I really enjoy the minimalism of this font.

I picked Apple Garamond as my serif font because of how traditional it looks to me. I can see this font being used in many different areas like professional business cards, books, basic writing, and anything else that has a more serious feel to it. What I found to be very interesting was the Q again in this font. In the capital Q, the tail doesn’t go into the counter of the Q. I like how the capital J and Q descend, unlike in the Gravity font where all letters where uniform regardless. In general, I could see myself using this font occasionally for the more serious and professional works I’ll be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment